Friday, November 2, 2007

The deck - More than just a cleaning required

Looks like a pretty dirty sailboat! I had hoped to just power wash the deck and cockpit, but that was a pipe dream. Once I got it home and started to clean the deck up, 75% of it was okay, but there were two areas which need to be addressed; the cockpit was really crazed on the right half, and paint was flaking off all along the right side toerail. Once I sanded off the toerail, it became apparent that I would need to do more than just dab a little paint on it. Looks like I am going to use quite a bit of filler and maybe some epoxy to repair/rebuild the toerail and then paint it. Since I am also going to repaint half of the cockpit, I may as well paint the whole deck! Hmm, before I paint it, I have to sand the whole thing down a bit. So, what I had hoped would be a straightforward 2 hour cleaning job has turned into a 20 hour sanding project. Sanding is done, but this is now going to have to wait for the spring, as it is too cold to use filler, primer, or paint.

The project does not totally go on hold for the winter as I have removed quite a bit of the interior and brought it home to work on over the winter.

No comments: