Friday, November 2, 2007

First Order Of Business - Getting it out of the trees


My first problem was getting 3500 lbs of fiberglass out of the woods! I had a few professional boat movers take a look, and the prices I got to transport this thing 85 Kms (50 miles) was more than I paid for the boat. So, I got a buddy with a truck, rented some chain hoists and we moved it ourselves. Since we did not have boat jacks, and the boat was located in a very difficult spot to access, it was a bit nerve racking when we first started to lift it up in the air. Granted, we did not have adequate equipment, and were not sure if the trees we were attached to would take the weight, but it went fairly smoothly. The picture shows the boat when we first hoisted it up in the air (If you click on the picture you get a full sized image which shows the situation clearly). We then pulled out the old cradle, slid a sailboat trailer underneath, and drove away! Sounds simple now, but let me tell you it was nerve racking having that much weight swinging from one chain on each side. I would really not advise anyone to try and do this, as in retrospect it was probably fairly dangerous.

No comments: