Monday, November 12, 2007

Projects that I am planning





Well, too cold to do any more work on the boat this fall, but I have a number of things I will get done over the winter and will be posting pictures as I go. If anyone has any ideas or input, please go to the bottom of the page and post a comment. This is the first rebuild I have tackled on my own, so I am open to all suggestions.
-I have removed most of the teak off of the outside and inside of the boat and will clean it up and apply cetol over the winter
-The pop top is somewhat concave, so I have taken it off the boat and will be epoxying in a strut to square it back up and then paint it. I also have to replace the canvas covering the hinge.
-Forward hatch - plexiglass is cracked, so I have removed the hatch and will replace this and then repaint the frame
-Sails - they are the original sails from 1972, so there are a few areas where I need to repair small tears before they become serious issues

There are a few things that I have to do next spring before I put the boat in the water.
-Replace the right bulkhead - current one is rotten and the fiberglass tabs have let go as can be seen in the fourth picture of this post
-Reseat the right chain plate
-put backing plates on both chainplates
-Prime and paint the deck
-Grind the rust off of the keel and then repaint the bottom of the boat
-Replace the sheaves at the top of the mast as the current ones are very rusty
-Find & buy a used long shaft motor
-clean and cetol the teak rubrail

Other projects that must get done, but can be accomplished once the boat is floating:
-Reglass right forward seat - third picture in this post shows where it should be
-Instrument work - not sure if the knotmeter and depth finder work. Nice units, so I do not want to toss them
-put some type of covering on interior walls. There was old, mildewy linoleum on there when I bought the boat. I am actually leaning towards replacing this with tongue and groove in a golden oak finish
-repaint the deck non-skid with Kiwi Grip

Oh yeah, go sailing!

As can be seen, there are a number of things that need doing, and the cost will add up fast, and I am trying to do this on a shoestring budget. I will keep track of all of my costs on a separate post as I move along. I am aiming to get this whole thing in the water for $1500, including cost of the boat, transport costs, buying motor, and all supplies required to refurbish it. Seems really low, but believe it or not I should be able to get there as long as I do all of the work myself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am doing a restore on a Grampain 23 Sailboat as well, it has been a struggle with all the other obligations in life, but exciting too!